ANDERSON, S.C.-The Anderson University softball team defeated nonconference rival Erskine twice on Thursday afternoon winning game one, 6-5, while shutting out the Flying Fleet in game two, 4-0, at the AU Softball Complex.
• The Trojans move to 19-5 on the year while claiming a point for the Black and Gold in the coveted Beville Cup competition between the two schools.
• The Flying Fleet fall to 6-10 on the season.
• Junior Trudi Shuman batted 2-for-3 in game one for the Trojans.
• Junior Cailah Niles drew four walks including an RBI while batting 2-for-3 in game two with an RBI.
• Sophomore Breanna Hagerty went 2-for-3 in game one for the Black and Gold.
• Sophomore Kasey Grant collected two hits while scoring three runs on the day.
• Freshman Mattie Hamilton went 2-for-5 recording five RBI using a single, a walk and a 3-run blast for Anderson.
Senior hurler Angie Pena (8-1) toed the rubber for game one against the Fleet. Pena pitched a complete game giving up eight hits while striking out five for her eighth win of the season.
Erskine's Samantha Schmidt (1-5) pitched 5.1 inning giving up five hits and just one earned run. Sydney Davis was brought in with one out in the bottom of the sixth to end the Trojans scoring.
Anderson 6, Erskine 5
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Anderson jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with the Trojans taking advantage of two walks, a stolen base and a single in the inning.
• Neither team plated a run in the second or third innings.
• Erskine was able to tie the game at one apiece using a single and double to drive in a runner.
• The Flying Fleet tagged on two more runs in their top half of the fifth inning to take a 3-1 lead.
• The Trojans capitalized on back to back singles with an error mixed in to pull within one through five complete innings of play, 3-2.
• Anderson held Erskine scoreless in the sixth inning while adding four runs of its own in the bottom half, 6-3. The Black and Gold used two errors and three walks, two with the bases loaded.
• Erskine added some dramatics in the seventh inning with Brittany Reynolds hitting a two out two-run shot over left center to pull within one. Pena was able to retire the next batter ending the game with the Trojans winning, 6-5.
Anderson 4, Erskine 0
HOW IT HAPPENED
• AU hurler Lauren Rudesheim (6-2) held the Fleet scoreless for the game allowing just two hits while striking out five.
• The Trojans threatened in the bottom of the second after back to back one out hits by senior Courtney Czentnar and Hagerty but could not plate a run.
• Anderson exploded for four runs in the bottom of the third using a walk and four hits highlighted by a 3-run shot over the left field fence by Hamilton to set the final score, 4-0.
Rudesheim (6-2) pitched a two-hit shut-out to record her sixth win of the year.
• Anderson hits the road when it travels to nonconference opponent Winston Salem State on Tuesday. First pitch of the doubleheader is slated for 1 p.m.