Greeneville, Tenn. – Fifth-seeded Anderson University men's tennis defeated fourth-seeded Tusculum in a quarterfinal matchup to begin the South Atlantic Conference Tournament on Monday afternoon at the Nichols Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Trojans improve to 13-7 overall and move on to face the top-seeded Bulldogs of Wingate.
Anderson won the doubles point to begin the day with sophomore Spencer Brown and freshman Adam Kush defeating Marco Meon and Vadzim Raitsou , 6-3. Tusculum won at the No. 2 flight with juniors Ignacio Bidegain and Preston Morpeth grinding out a victory at the No. 2 position, 7-6 (7-4).
The Pioneers won the first two singles points to move ahead, 2-1. AU's Bidegain put away his opponent to even the match at 2-2. No. 6 seeded Morpeth defeated Tusculum's Gabriel Yaguar, 6-2, 6-0 with No. 5 slotted senior Tomas Depiaggio clinching the match with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Vadzim Raitsou.
The Trojans will head to Rock Hill to play top-seeded Wingate on Thursday. First-serve is scheduled for 9am.
#46 Anderson 4, #32 Tusculum 2
1. #20 Ignacio Bidegain (AUM) def. #62 David Akinpetide (TU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Tomas Almeida (TU) def. Jeffrey Dayton (AUM) 6-0, 6-3
3. Yago Fernandez (TU) def. Spencer Brown (AUM) 6-2, 6-0
4. Manuel Almeida (TU) vs. Adam Kush (AUM) 6-0, 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
5. Tomas Depiaggio (AUM) def. Vadzim Raitsou (TU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Preston Morpeth (AUM) def. Gabriel Yaguar (TU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Manuel Almeida/Tomas Almeida (TU) def. Jeffrey Dayton/Tomas Depaggio (AUM) 6-3
Match Notes: Anderson 13-7; National ranking #46 Tusculum 13-6; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,2,1,6,5)
South Atlantic Conference Men's Tennis Championship - Quarterfinals Anderson #5 seed, Tusculum #4 seed
Official: Smith, Wilson T-2:26 A-112