ANDERSON, S.C. – The Anderson University women's tennis team used a solid team outing to blank nonconference opponent Southern Wesleyan, 9-0 on Wednesday afternoon at the AU Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Trojans improve to 6-2 overall while Southern Wesleyan falls to 2-4 on the year.
Anderson swept the doubles portion building a 3-0 lead heading into singles play. At the No. 1 spot, Laura Dean and Rebecca Bruning (AU) defeated Alexia Rodriguez and Katherina Wintrich (SWU) 8-2 while Delaney Wiggins and Jacqueline Olivia (AU) won over Aimee Dorley and Kristi Cooper (SWU), 8-4 at the No. 2 slot. Playing in the No. 3 position, Ivey Welborn and Jennifer Holcombe (AU) made quick work with an 8-1 victory over Jennifer Ball and Chyna Jones (SWU).
In the singles portion, AU won all six matches highlighted by a three-set come from behind win by Bruning. The Athens, Ga. native lost the first set 7-5 fighting back to take set two, 6-2. Bruning was able to put away Ball, 10-6, in the tie-breaker to claim her seventh win of the season.
The Trojans are back in action on Friday when they travel to nonconference opponent Belmont Abbey. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Anderson University 9, Southern Wesleyan 0
1. Laura Dean (AUWTEN) def. Alexia Rodriguez (SWU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Rebecca Bruning (AUWTEN) def. Jennifer Ball (SWU) 5-7, 6-2, 10-6
3. Delaney Wiggins (AUWTEN) def. Katherina Wintrich (SWU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Ivey Welborn (AUWTEN) def. Aimee Dorley (SWU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Jacqueline Olivia (AUWTEN) def. Kristi Cooper (SWU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Jennifer Holcombe (AUWTEN) def. Chyna Jones (SWU) 6-0, 6-3
Southern Wesleyan 2-4
Anderson University 6-2
T-3hr 30m A-41